Friday, July 8, 2011

Quick 5

This edition of Quick 5 is entitled: "My Girls Are Growing Up."

1.  Alaina is starting to lose a bit of her baby speech.  The other day she pointed to a picture and said "octopus."  She used to say "oppopis."  It is a little sad to me.  It just goes to show that you don't really need to correct a lot of their words; they'll grow out of it on their own.

2.  Alaina has discovered how to get herself a drink of water.  She always asks for one between dinner and bed.  I'm a little torn about it; on one hand you're not supposed to give them anything to drink at that time so they don't wet the bed.  However, she is still in pull-ups at night and since we just left the Dark Valley of Potty Training I'm not quite ready to nighttime train.  So if she has a wet pull-up in the morning, I'm not too worried about it.  So I sometimes just put her off.  Only the other night, after I tried to put it off, she came into the living with a sippy cup of water.  It had the lid, the proper plug and everything.  I asked her where she got the water, and she said "the bathroom."  I asked where in the bathroom, fully prepared in case she said the toilet, but she said the sink.  I guess I need to put her cups up higher if I don't want her getting her own drink.

3.  Joya got in trouble for the first time this week.  Our entertainment center has a door that keeps Alaina's puzzles in it.  I don't really want Joya digging through there, but I've been reluctant to lock it, since I want Alaina to get in there whenever she wants.  But Joya is a bit of a destructo-machine, and kept going for the cabinet.  I firmly told her "No" several times.  She now will stick out her bottom lip and work very hard to produce tears upon hearing the word.  Houston, we have understanding.

4.  Joya has also discovered the art of the pity party.  She lays on her stomach, buries her head in her arms and cries.  It is terribly pathetic, and makes it easy for me to discern if she actually needs assistance or if she is just upset that she didn't get her way.

5.  Today is Cow Appreciation Day at Chick-fil-a.  Yes, our family is participating.  I've been collecting things for our cow costumes all week.  I'll post pics when it is all over.

Hope you're enjoying this summer stormy weather!  I sure am.

No comments: