Friday, November 4, 2011

Quick 5

Life goes on.

1.  We are not a Halloween family, and this is the first year that we spent a lot of time talking about it.  Between the way people decorate for Halloween like they do Christmas, and all the stuff in the stores, and all the Halloween-themed shows, Alaina had plenty of questions.  My favorite part, though, came on Halloween night.  We left our porch light off, so as not to encourage trick-or-treaters to stop at our door, but that didn't stop one eager little person.  Around 7:30 we heard a pounding on our door, and then I heard his mom call out "No!  We only go to the ones who have their light on!"  Alaina, however, got a stricken look on her face.  She wanted to peak out our closed blinds, and I told her not to.  Then she told me she was scared.  I asked her what she was scared of, and she said, "The kids!  They're all dressed up and walking around with their buckets of candy!"  It made me laugh, as if kids walking around with buckets of candy was the scary part of the day. 

2.  I'm in the camp that enjoys the fact that Christmas sprouts up on November 1st.  If we're going to celebrate something, let's celebrate the fact that God came to be with us!  And let's celebrate for two full months!  And I love that anytime Alaina sees anything that has to do with Christmas, she shouts, "Merry Christmas, Mommy!"  Merry Christmas, indeed.

3.  I think it is so cute whenever Joya does something that is more little person than baby.  Currently it's the handing over of things.  If she has something she's not supposed to have, or if she's chewing on something she's not supposed to chew, we'll ask her to hand it over.  And she always immediately does.  I like it, because it is one of the first few signs that she understands what we are saying to her. 

4.  Her two, big front teeth also make her seem more like a child than a baby.  We like to call her our Buck-Toothed Beauty.  I'd post a picture, but I can't get a good one.  She's too wiggly for that. 

5.  I have been summoned by the Great State of Colorado for jury duty on Monday.  Someday I think I really would like to sit on a jury.  Just not now.  Best case scenario is that I call the number on Friday evening, and my juror number doesn't come up.  If it does, then Lee will have to stay home from work so I can go.  I don't have a smart phone or iPad or anything cool like that, so I'm afraid that having to report will be terribly boring.  If I do have to report, I doubt I'll be selected for a trial, which means it will all be for naught.  And there is nothing more annoying to me than wasting my time like that.  But this is a momentous occasion anyway, because it's my first time being summoned.

Thanksgiving is only three weeks away!  Let the turkey sales begin!

No comments: