Friday, September 14, 2012

Quick 5

My word.  It always surprises me how cranky SOME people get when I skip a week of the Quick 5.  Sometimes things just aren't newsworthy, people.  Maybe if you would all stop by or call or send us stuff I'd have things to write about sometimes.  I wonder if my friend Becky gets this kind of grief when SHE skips a week. 

1.  Last week was just completely uninspiring.  We made it through a week.  The End.  But all of a sudden I'm feeling all sorts of inspiration.  Not really writing wise, but I bought my first can of spray paint yesterday and suddenly I have so many things I want to do with it.  I've got a Pinterest-y craft in the works to make some artwork for my walls, and then I remembered this old wooden shelf in my basement that I was about to throw away because it's a little too 1990s.  But with a coat of black spray paint...

2.  I recently put a full-sized pillow in Joya's crib.  When I did that with Alaina, she stopped moving all over the bed at night and began to sleep in just one place.  It was great training for moving to a big girl bed, and it became very handy in keeping her covered at night.  The pillow takes up about a quarter of the crib; Joya now sleeps in the other 3/4 of the crib, still all over the place.  And she still moans at night when she gets too cold because she's wiggled out from under her blankets. 

3.  Alaina has been complaining about her shoes lately.  When she goes to Cubbies they ask that she wears closed-toed shoes, so she has been wearing her sneakers after a summer of sandals-only.  She said her shoes were too tight, and I believed her because I know kids grow.  So we went to the shoe store and I had the dude there measure both of the girls' feet so I'd know what to look for.  Turns out Alaina needs a 9 1/2 these days; her other pair was a size 8.  No wonder she was complaining.  Joya needs a size 5, and I've been shoving her little feet into size 4 for the past week.  Mommy fail.

4.  Alaina has discovered the joy of Mister Roger's Neighborhood.  It all started with a new show on PBS Kids called Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, which is produced by the Fred Roger's Group.  It's a completely updated version of that old show, but they've posted some of the old shows on PBSKids.org and Alaina found them.  Which led to borrowing a Mister Roger's DVD from the library.  And most surprising of all is that she actually watched the whole thing.  Those shows were WAY less stimulating than today's shows for kids, but Alaina was able to focus on the whole thing.  I really don't mind "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" running through my head.

5.  MOPS started at our church last week.  But I don't want to talk about it.  I'm going to forget it ever happened, and pretend that it really starts on September 24th.  So tell all your friends: the Valley View MOPS group starts on Monday, September 24th at 9:30am.  Childcare is provided.  :)

Peace out.

No comments: