Monday, July 12, 2010

Cow Appreciation Day 2010


Moo!

We don't go out to eat much. In fact, we usually don't go out to eat unless we have a gift card. And even then, we'll hold onto it until we find a coupon to use WITH the gift card. I know, I know...our frugality goes to depths that you probably didn't even know about. Hopefully it's not unhealthy.

In the spirit of not paying for food when we go out to eat, we dressed up as cows on July 9, 2010 to participate in Cow Appreciation Day at Chick-fil-a. Chick-fil-a had been advertising that if you came dressed as a cow, head to toe, on July 9 you would get a free meal. At first I didn't want to because free food usually equals BIG crowds. I have a strong dislike for big crowds. It's why I don't make more of an effort to go to things like Rockies games, even though I really enjoy them. But Lee and I decided that we should dress up and go for an early dinner, around 4:30 or so, and maybe we'd beat the dinner rush.

So I came up with cow costumes for all of us, using a combination of the cow kit provided on Chick-fil-a's website and stuff I had at home. And we did it. We decked ourselves out. I felt silly getting in and out of the car, but as soon as we stepped foot in the Chick-fil-a, I felt at home. There were cows EVERYWHERE. It was busy, but not line-out-the-door-around-the-building-down-the-block busy. (We've participated in something like that once, just to get free burritos from Chipotle. Still not sure it was worth it.) In fact, we only had to wait in line like you normally would when you go to Chick-fil-a. We stepped up to the counter and the kid smiled at us. I asked "What do we get?" because if you weren't dressed up enough you'd just get a free sandwich. But all three of us were wearing black and white only, with contrasting spots. We had on ears and Lee and I sported the noses found on the website. The kid said "Anything you want." So we had full meals, all for free.

Chick-fil-a is amazing. Free Chick-fil-a is MORE amazing. We're already looking forward to Cow Appreciation Day 2011.
*This post is dedicated to my old, dear, long-lost friend, Erin (Green) Bradley, who was the founding member of the Heiferette Club. Every moo in my heart belongs to her.

No comments: