Friday, September 16, 2011

Quick 5

Friday again?  Here we go:

1.  What better way to start out a Quick 5 than with this cuteness?

2.  The real excitement of our past week actually took place all last weekend.  On Friday Lee stayed home from work so he could watch the girls while I went to Live Audience Friday.  There is a radio morning show that I've listened to since high school, and they have a live audience in every Friday.  You have to show up at 5:45 (yes, in the morning) armed with treats, and in return you get a catered breakfast and a morning of fun.  You feel like you know the DJs, even though you don't really.  I had such a good time, even though technically I went by myself.  The other audience members were friendly, and the morning sailed by.  Then Friday afternoon we took the girls to my parents' house so we could go to a Rockies game with our good friends Kelvin and Leah.  It was the first time we had done something just the four of us since probably 2006.  (For some reason there are always little girls around.)  Our girls spent the night at Grammy and Grandad's, and Lee and I did a song at a wedding on Saturday morning.  Full weekend, but really really fun all around.

3.  Here is a shocking announcement: we are creatures of habit.  Every afternoon at 3:30, Joya gets a bottle and Alaina gets fruit snacks.  They are simple, cheap Great Value brand, but she likes them.  And I really like the purple ones.  So every day, when I open the package for her, I eat a purple one.  And then she proceeds to give me all the purple ones out of her bag.  It is so sweet that it breaks my heart every time.  She knows I like them, and she wants to share them.  (Especially if it means I don't ask for her yellow ones.)  I always look at her and hope that I am selfless enough to know when someone else has a favorite and that I'll always choose to give it to them, just because they like it.

4.  MOPS started up for us this week.  I'm trying to start a MOPS group at our church, but it's been slow going, so since our target start date is January 2012, I thought we'd just attend the group we went to last semester.  I was so proud of the girls.  Of course Alaina had no problems.  Joya, however, has not been as easy going about nursery situations as her sister.  Even at our church, she clutches my neck and howls when I try to hand her over to the ladies that she really should know by now.  So I was prepared for the same theatrics at MOPS.  Well, she didn't make a peep.  She willingly went to the nice ladies who work in the infant room, and she even took her bottle from them like she's been doing it all her life.  She was just chilling when I went to pick her up.  Of course, only time will tell if it was fluke or a new habit, but I have high hopes.

5.  It's amazing to realize that we are one month away from Joya's first birthday.  I've been starting to gather things for her party, and made an appointment for her one-year check up.  I wouldn't say this past year has flown by, but it hasn't felt long either.  I just know that once they turn one, their babyness quickly melts into toddler-hood.  It feels like we've climbed to the top of a roller coaster and are about to tip over the other side.  I can't even imagine what she's going to be like as a toddler.  She'll start using words, and walking, and taking toys away from her sister rather than just crying when her toys are taken from her, and developing preferences.  I think the real show is about to begin.

Technically this is the last week of summer, so enjoy it!  We'll never see the summer of 2011 again.

1 comment:

Becky said...

That whole radio show sounds like lots of fun- good for you for just doing it. And the daily fruit snack sharing is very sweet. Though I am SHOCKED that you (the only person I ever knew who went to bed at the same time throughout their entire college career) are a creature of habit. Who's have guessed? =) Your girls look so sweet.