Friday, August 3, 2012

Quick 5

1.  Today is the day our a/c will be fixed.  But the Lord has taken care of us this week by sending clouds and rain almost every afternoon.  It has made the afternoons downright pleasant.  I know weather is pretty impersonal and all that, but I always take it as an "I love you" from Jesus.  I hope the rest of the summer is like this (although the forecast says differently.)

2.  We had our air ducts cleaned on Tuesday by a delightful man named Pat.  And I cannot believe the difference it's made already.  And we haven't even turned on the a/c yet.  Our house has not smelled like our house yet, and that's always been kind of a bummer.  There has been a faint but unmistakable smell of old cigarette smoke in this house since we moved in, and it's made it hard for me to settle in.  But he cleaned and sanitized the ducts, and we may be able to see the end of this smoke smell.  If you live in the Denver area and need an air duct man, let me know.

3.  Our poor little Joya has another ear infection.  It's her third one this year, which means we've won a trip to see an ENT in a few weeks for her to be evaluated for tubes.  I don't even want to think about what all that entails right now, but it would be nice to not have to worry about her spiking fevers every other month. 

4.  We (and by we, I mean Lee and me.  The girls don't care) have been enjoying the Olympics around here.  I think swimming might be my favorite event, although we both really get into beach volleyball.  I used to like gymnastics, but some of the joy is gone now that I cannot figure out their scoring system.  The little green, yellow and red symbols help some, but it's just too hard to know what is good and what is not.  I've seen more water polo than I've ever wanted to, but other than that it's been fun. 

5.  My tiny little baby bro leaves for college next week.  He's a good kid; we'll miss him a lot.  I'm excited for him, though.  I had such a good college experience, and I hope he does too.  I don't really envy the four years (or so) of school work he has ahead of him, but I do find myself longing for dorm life.  Not all of dorm life (like sharing bathrooms and all that) but having a cafeteria to see to all your meal needs.  I did NOT appreciate it like I should have when I was in school.  To not only have your meals provided, but to have at least a few options at every meal was practically heaven, and I didn't even know it.  I hope that college students don't take that for granted.  One of my few regrets in life.

Happy August, everyone.

No comments: