Friday, June 14, 2013

Quick 5

It's always a sad day when your backyard smells like a campfire, and it's NOT because your neighbor is using their fire pit.

1.  Last Saturday Alaina, Joya and I went swimming as a part of our good friends' birthday party.  We went to the indoor pool at the Ridge, which has one of those zero depth entry activity pools.  There are fountains and slides and the girls LOVED it.  It was the first time I had taken Joya swimming, and the first time that Alaina has gone swimming without floaty gear.  And I have no pictures because it was a TON of work for me.  Alaina did fairly well, gallivanting all over the place, even into the three-foot depth.  That made me a little nervous because I had to stick to Joya like glue, but Miss Leah and Mr. Kelvin were around.  But it was hard work keeping an eye on two little girls.  Joya never went deeper than her waist, but I still stuck very close to her.  I'm sure the girls would love to go more often, but I'm just not up for all that work.  Maybe as they get older and get a few years of swimming lessons under their belts.  (Where was Lee, you ask?  At home, putting Bria down for her nap.)

2.  The main event this week was Lee's birthday.  I told the girls to go tell him Happy Birthday when they woke up on Tuesday, and Joya now seems to think it is the appropriate morning greeting for him every morning.  We had chicken kebabs for dinner (or Chikn Bobs, according to Joya) and I made him a pie that had an oreo crust, chopped brownies and those tiny Reese's peanut butter cups, chocolate pudding, whipped cream and mini-M&Ms on it.  It was delicious.

3.  Speaking of Chikn Bobs, the marinade I used was FANTASTIC.  I need to share it with you, just so you can never say that I didn't share.  (And I'll cite my source so I won't get accused of plagiarism.)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1-2 lemons)
  • 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2-4 chicken breasts
Seriously, folks.  Get yoself some chikn and MARINATE.

4.  Next week is our 9th anniversary.  That, along with Alaina's 5th birthday, has made me consider the concept of time lately.  I'll be honest; I absolutely do not relate to the people who crow "Oh, it goes by so fast!" when they talk about their kids ages or whatever.  It does NOT feel like it has gone by so fast to me.  It hasn't crawled by either; it just is what it is.  Yes, Alaina is 5.  It feels like she should be five.  Yes, we've been married for 9 years.  It feels like it has been 9 years.  We've earned every day of those years.  It's an unromantic view, but that's how I see it, I guess.

5.  Look who's getting stronger!

Happy Father's Day to my dear ol' Dad, and to my husband, who has won his daughters' hearts.

No comments: