Friday, November 8, 2013

Quick 5

It's beginning to feel a lot like...cold weather season.  In the spirit of this Thankful Month, I'm thankful for my electric blanket, which I was introduced to by joining the Kimble family.  See, marriage is awesome.

1.  I used to take gobs and gobs of pictures of Alaina sleeping.  She sleeps so hard and it was so easy.  I rarely catch Joya asleep.  Once she's asleep I leave her be, because she's a light sleeper and a camera flash or the opening of the door to go into her room would surely wake her up.  And then there's Bria.  I suppose she's neither a hard nor a light sleeper.  It might be too soon to tell.  But I finally snapped a sleeping pic of her.  I love sleeping pictures.
P.S. On the Bria front, she's crawling!!  Well, only backwards.  But she can get up on hands and knees and scoot backwards in quite a timely fashion.  I expect forward motion very soon.

2.  Alaina had no school on Monday.  It's fun to have random days off of school.  We poked around at the mall, had McDonald's for lunch, and generally tried to remember what life was like before she had school every day.  During Joya's room time/Bria's nap time Alaina had couch time.  Which she spent in my room, playing on my Kindle.  Joya joined her as soon as she could.  They are modern children for sure.

3.  The falling leaves have provided hours of fun for the girls.  You know the method of hiding toys for a few months, and then bringing them out again and the kids think it's something brand new?  Well, I think the falling leaves are God's version of that.  Who needs toys when you have a big pile of leaves to jump in?

4.  Joya is quite the little backseat driver.  Especially if I'm stopped and she wants to be going.  "Go Mom go!!" is frequently heard.  So I explained the meaning of red and green lights, hoping that information would put her little mind at ease.  Nope, now she's my little stoplight police.  "Don't go, Mom!  It's red!!"  I tried explaining to her that it is acceptable to turn right at a red light once you've yielded to on-coming traffic unless otherwise indicated, but her mind is stuck on Red = Stop, Green = Go.  This is why they don't give drivers licenses to three-year-olds.

5.  It's time to regale you with a tale from The Silly Noob Homeowners.  Prepare to laugh and feel superior in your knowledge of home ownership.  I'm sure you'll figure out our problem way before we did.

A week or two ago we began to hear a chirp from the basement.  I told Lee it was time to change the batteries on the carbon monoxide alarm, which he promptly did.  But the chirp still happened.  It wasn't at regular intervals either.  We'd hear it once every 5 or 10 minutes for a few times, then it would be silent for an hour or two.  I began to get worried.  We read the manual, and the chirps weren't following what the manual said they would do.  I thought the whole thing was just malfunctioning, but it was going to be at least a day before Lee could get to the store to buy a new one.  I slept terribly for a couple of nights, worried that we were going to wake up dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.  How would anyone even know??  I don't call anyone every day.  Our doors are locked, so who could even come in to check on us?  So Lee finally got a new one and installed it.  Lo and behold, it was chirping the same way too.  One more night of bad sleep for me.  So I finally called the company on Wednesday and told them what was happening, fully expecting them to tell me that I should have called the fire department days ago.  Well, the helpful guy on the phone had me test the alarm for him and it worked just fine.  Then he asked if there were any other alarms nearby.  Had we even for one second considered that option?  NO!!  I said thank you and hung up, feeling like an idiot.  Sure enough, there is a smoke alarm in the bedroom in the basement.l  I called Lee so he could feel dumb with me.  But the story is not over.

Lee got home, and went to change the batteries in that smoke alarm.  He pulled it down, and there were no batteries in it to begin with.  Sure enough, we heard the chirp.  Upon further investigation, there is a smoke alarm not ten feet away from the carbon monoxide alarm, on the ceiling. (The carbon monoxide alarm is on the wall.)  He pulled it down, changed the batteries on that one and the chirping stopped.

In our defense, when we moved into the house Lee's parents took charge of putting batteries in all the smoke alarms.  So we didn't even know where they all were.  I mean, we know about all the ones upstairs, but not in the basement.

The lesson here is to look up on your ceilings every once in awhile.

Enjoy your laugh at our expense.

No comments: