Friday, November 14, 2014

Quick 5

Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories.
~An Affair to Remember (as quoted by Meg Ryan and Rosie O'Donnell in Sleepless in Seattle)

1.  When we got to MOPS on Monday at 9:15am, it was 65 degrees.  When we left MOPS at 11:30, it was 35 degrees.  By the time Lee went outside to grill at 4:45, it was 24 degrees and snowing.  In defense of my meal plan, I looked at the weather forecast for the week and saw that the high for Monday was 54, and the rest of the week was terribly cold.  I just didn't anticipate the fact that we would reach the high at 9:00 in the morning and spend the rest of the day scrounging around for layers.


2.  I volunteered at Alaina's school on Tuesday and got to witness the program the school put on for some veterans.  They had breakfast for them, and each class came in to do a little something.  The first graders had a little poem that they read and then handed out some homemade ornaments.  It was super cute.  Alaina was so excited to "see a veteran."  Apparently I hadn't told her that we see them all the time, and she's even talked to a few herself at church.  The school did a great job impressing the importance of veterans and their jobs on the kids.  It was a fun thing for me to watch.

3. I have spent the last couple of months visiting various thrift and second-hand stores looking for snow boots for Alaina.  I've never had a problem finding what I need, until this year.  For some reason used size 13 little girls boots were no where to be found.  So on Wednesday, the coldest day of the week, I had to venture out to Kohl's to buy her brand new ones.  It's so not our style, but I did have a 30% off coupon to soften the blow.  And I'm armed with the knowledge that Joya and Bria will both wear these boots, whether they want to or not.  But yes, I suppose I'm that mom who waited until a day too late to buy what she needed, rather than being prepared ahead of time.  It wasn't intentional, though.

4.  Does anyone know anything about blowing insulation into the walls?  Lee sealed the two windows in the girls' room because their room gets so cold in the winter.  But we think the problem might be an insufficient amount of insulation in their walls, two of which are outside walls.  We just don't even know where to begin in researching the expense and logistics of that kind of home improvement project.

5.  Apparently I need a vacation.  I have been doing a bunch of scatter-brained type things that are NOT normal for me.  Like using 1/3 cup of flour in the brownies instead of 1/2 cup.  (They're really good, just super gooey.)  Or putting my scripts for the Christmas drama in a place that I couldn't find them when I needed to go to practice last night (they were in my crochet bag OF COURSE.)  Thankfully we leave for Kansas City in a week.  I think I can keep it together until then.

Enjoy the heat wave today!


No comments: