Friday, May 1, 2015

Quick 5

I love May, because May is when you can FINALLY breathe and celebrate that you made it through the winter.  I do NOT love May, because every single person and their mother has an event you need to go to.  So I guess I should say May is here...ready, set, GO.

1. Alaina did great at the Run 4 Funds thing.  Last year she ran 8 laps.  This year she had a goal of running 10.  How many did she actually run?  33.  The track was 1/16th of a mile, so she ran just over 2 miles in 30 minutes.  She must get that running prowess from her aunt Carolyn, because I am NOT a runner.  Thankfully no one sponsored her per lap, because they would have been surprised, especially when we were telling them she would probably run 10 or 12 laps. 

2. Lee completed one of my Dream Projects this week: the painting of the wall in my bathroom.  Of course I saw this on Pinterest, but it translated quite well to real life, I would say.  He and his dad built the shelves last year, and now it complete.  All we need to do is jump on the crazy $150 rebate Denver Water is giving out for new toilets and that little portion of this house will be all set.

3. On Sunday we gave Alaina the news that her wonderful teacher, Mrs. Casassa, had to move to California this week.  She would teach them on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and then the sub that they have had a couple of times in the last week would be their teacher for the rest of the year.  It's so sad that Mrs. C couldn't stay for these final three weeks, but sometimes things are beyond our control.  So on Wednesday I took Joya and Bria to the school to have lunch with the class as part of her farewell day.  The moms brought in fruit and pizza, and we all ate outside.  My plan was to play for awhile, then get a picture of Alaina and Mrs. Casassa before taking the little girls home for a nap.  BUT THEN I saw one of the moms RUNNING inside, telling the aide to walkie-talkie to the office that Mrs. Casassa had broken her arm.  The aides jumped into action, blowing the whistle and whisking all the kids inside.  I grabbed Bria and Joya and made my way back to the tree where we had been eating. Mrs. Casassa was sitting on the ground holding her wrist in her lap, with a mom behind her supporting her back.  Someone asked her a question and she said, "Oh, it's broken." She lifted up her hand and I saw that her wrist was bending and pointing in ways that God did not intend.  They called 911 and a mom called Mrs. C's husband.  I felt like an idiot not knowing what to do, with Bria screaming because I wouldn't let her go on the slide anymore.  So I cleaned up all the trash and just quietly took my girls home.  I think I was the only one traumatized by this series of unfortunate events.  I cried all afternoon, thinking of Mrs. Casassa and how she and her family planned to leave on Thursday morning to start their big move back to California, and how a move and a drive would be so difficult with a broken arm.  I also cried every time I thought about how Mrs. Casassa might not make it back to school in time to say goodbye to the kids.  Well, she DIDN'T make it back in time, but the kids seemed unfazed by this.  And Mrs. Casassa seems to be in great spirits on Facebook, so I'm thankful for that.  She and her family did leave as planned.  And Alaina likes her new teacher.  Anyway, we loved Mrs. Casassa.  She was a dream teacher, and I'm sad that Joya and Bria won't get the chance to have her.


4. Every night I get to snuggle Bria for a few minutes before I put her to bed for the night.  She usually asks me to sing her songs, so I sing a couple.  For awhile I sang "Jesus Loves Me" and "Hairy Little Monkey."  But this week her song of choice has been His Cheeseburger from Veggie Tales.  Yes, I know every single word.


5. I'm trying to make it a thing to go to Sprouts on Tuesdays for fruits and veggies.  This week Bria immediately spotted a couple of balloons they had inside the store and of course she could NOT. STOP. TALKING. about them.  So a lovely employee gave both her and Joya each a balloon.  It was the highlight of their life.  Except the thing is, I despise balloons.  My girls still use every toy as a lollipop or chew toy, and those things are going to pop and get jammed in their throats and they will die.  Not to mention Bria did not want to eat her lunch because she wanted to hold her balloon.  I managed to get a few bites in her before she declared that she was done and wanted down.  So I did the unthinkable and popped them and threw them away.  You can't imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I'm the worst mom in the world.  You might be surprised to find out, though, that the cure for wailing and gnashing of teeth is jelly beans.  I brought out those and all was forgiven.  The moral of the story is, you can give my girls balloons if you want, but please ask me if I have jelly beans first, because I WILL pop those balloons.
Thus ends our week!

No comments: