Friday, January 4, 2013

Quick 5

New Year, new happenings.

1.  I've been looking on craigslist for a toddler bed.  I find craigslist to be extremely frustrating and not for the faint of heart.  Much of the stuff on there is way overprices, as if living in Denver, Colorado entitles you to charge people near retail price for your used junk.  But I did find a bed and mattress set in my price range.  But that lady didn't respond for over 24 hours.  So while I was waiting I found another one for $10 less, and she responded right away.  So I sent Lee out on Tuesday night and he came home with a toddler bed and mattress for $30.  I was pretty stoked at the price.  The next day I had to reply to the other seller and tell her that hers wouldn't work out for us.  Guess she didn't spend her day watching her email like I did.

2.  Last night was Joya's inaugural night in her new bed.  I put her to bed as usual, told her to stay in bed and go to sleep, and she did.  That was that.  She did wake up about three times in the night calling for me, so each time I went in and told her to lay back down.  I think she was just a little confused, and she laid back down without a fight each time.  She still didn't try and get out of bed, so I'd say the night was a success.  I hope she sleeps better tonight, but at least she isn't wandering the house.


3.  Room time this morning did not go so well.  I am going to miss the days of crib time, where I'd put her in her crib and she would happily play for an hour and a half.  Today she lasted about 40 minutes before she started knocking on the door to be let out.  Maybe she'll get used to it.  This afternoon will be her first nap in the bed, and I have no idea how that's going to go.  I'll be sad if the days of two and a half hour naps are over too, just because she can get out of bed. 

4.  I try to pray a lot of things for my children, but two things I always pray are that they would hate sin, and get caught when they are guilty.  Well yesterday during morning couch time, I hear Alaina say, "Oh no!  Mom, I had an accident."  She came to me and there was chocolate dribbled down the front of her shirt.  She had had chocolate milk at breakfast, but I didn't remember her dribbling then; she would have told me.  So I asked her if she threw up, and she said no.  Then I asked if she had been eating chocolate.  She nodded, then confessed that she had been sneaking Hershey Kisses out of the kitchen.  I suppose in her defense I left them in her reach, but she did know better.  I sentenced her to no dessert or snack that day, which was met by many tears, but as they day went on she totally understood.  It still amazes me that the "get caught when she's guilty" part of the prayer actually came to fruition.  Poor girls.  I'll be praying that for the rest of their lives.

5.  With this new year, I have a very strong desire to make goals, but I'm afraid I can't get past "have a baby" and "adjust."  I suppose "don't be a slug" violates every goal making rule, seeing as how it's not very measurable, but that's the best I can come up with.  I feel like we have so much to do before the baby comes (getting the toddler bed and moving the crib out of the girls' room was a big step) so making any goals beyond that feels overwhelming.  Maybe I'll be able to come up with some in April.  I hope they count then.

Welcome anyway, new year.  I don't like the number 13, so 2013 doesn't really fill me with any great expectations, but I'll try and keep an open mind.

No comments: