Friday, March 23, 2012

Quick 5

This week has lasted a thousand years.

At the risk of wearing everyone out with my trauma, the biggest thing that happened in our week was Alaina's febrile seizure last Saturday.  She's over it...I'm not quite yet.  But rather than rehash the details, I'll talk about the things I'm thankful for through the whole ordeal. 

1.  I'm thankful for the Holy Spirit nudging me to go check on her.  It was really silly; I was getting Joya down from lunch and Alaina had gone to "have a little rest" because she didn't feel well.  I dropped a piece of bread on the floor and my dad pointed at it for me to pick it up.  I said, "In a minute; I'll be back" because I had a STRONG urge to check on Alaina.  It would have taken me ONE extra second to pick it up, but I really felt like I needed to check on her.  And that's when I found her in the seizure.  I know the Holy Spirit told me to go right then. 

2.  I'm thankful that the seizure was not as violent as it probably could have been.  She was actually quite still, but completely checked out.  She could have been really thrashing around, and that would have been worse. 

3.  I'm thankful that we were at my parents' house when it happened, so that my mom could confirm that we needed to take her to the ER and so that my dad could drive us there.  I'm thankful that we were able to leave Joya in my mom's care and not have to think about what we were going to do with her while we were taking care of Alaina.  I'm thankful that my dad drove us in their car, so that we didn't have to clean up Alaina's throw up out of our car. 

4.  I'm thankful that they immediately took us back right away when we got to the ER.  I'm thankful that the attending ER physician was also a board certified pediatrician and knew exactly what he was doing. 

5.  I'm thankful that Alaina is back to 100% Alaina.  She ran a fever all day Sunday and most of Monday, but even those days she was back to her normal self.  And I'm really thankful it was just a febrile seizure, which will have zero ill effects on her future health or development.

Oh, and I'm thankful that Andrea was back from maternity leave so she could cover for me in the nursery when I had to stay home with the girls on Sunday.

Here's hoping that your weekend this weekend doesn't come close to the weekend I had last weekend.

No comments: