Friday, March 2, 2012

Quick 5

My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch fire, or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one else cares. Why should you?
Erma Bombeck

1.  No one knows better than I that parenting is a 24-hour job.  I'm aware.  But there are times that I feel even more like a mom than others, and it usually happens when one of my girls is sick.  Or injured.  Both happened this week.  Alaina had the stomach flu on Sunday.  I suppose she was a bit down on Saturday, but it all exploded on Sunday while I was at church doing the nursery coordinator thing.  Thankfully Lee was not on worship team, and Mt. Vesuvius erupted while they were at home before they left for church, so he could just keep the girls home.  Sadly, it meant missing a birthday party on Sunday and MOPS on Monday, but by Tuesday she was back to her perky self.  

2.  On Monday night I put Alaina to bed, and as normal, she bounded into bed.  She gets into bed in the dark, because Joya is usually sleeping by that time.  Well, Alaina bounded a little too hard and smacked her head on the headboard.  I heard the smack and knew it hurt, so I immediately went to her head.  Then I saw two dark spots drip onto her pillow.  I scooped her up and ran back to the bathroom.  Sure enough her little head was gushing with blood.  I grabbed a tissue and took her down to Lee, so he could put pressure on it while I found a good band-aid.  (The girls' bathroom is well stocked with Hello Kitty and Strawberry Shortcake band-aids.  Those cream puffs could not handle this job.)  Of course my first thought was "how do I know if she needs stitches?"  But the bleeding stopped within a minute or two, so I just put a big band-aid on it and sent her to bed.  By morning she was ready for the more decorative band-aids and has been wearing one ever since.  She has gotten some great attention from sympathetic ladies as we've gone about our errands this week, and she loves to tell the tale of how she smacked her head.
Headboard: 1, Alaina: 0


3.  Joya sticks her finger in her belly button a lot.  I mean a lot.  Is that normal?

4.  I love that it is staying light past 5:30 in the evenings lately.  I'm not really liking that it's light by 6:00.  The girls used to sleep or at least be content until 7:00 each morning.  Now Alaina is visiting my room by about 6:30 each morning.  I'm up and getting ready for the day, but not quite ready for little people.  When I ask her what she's doing, she says "I think it's morning!"  Gone are the days of getting ready in peace, I suppose.

5.  GREAT house news: the sellers are signing our offer!  Now it goes to the bank and we are gearing up for that Great Waiting Game.  Apparently the listing agent is feeling pretty confident about a quick bank approval.  Quick, as in 3 to 4 weeks instead of the traditional 6 to 25.  I'm praying that we'll all be surprised in two weeks by the bank, and we can officially be under contract then.  I can feel myself starting to get excited, and then spend a good ten minutes talking myself down and lowering my expectations.  But it's still good news anyway.

Does anyone else think that winter and summer are usually about two weeks too long?  No?  Just me?  Oh well.

No comments: