Sunday, January 2, 2011

Houston, We Have Contact

One of the main, driving forces behind my desire for another baby was the potential for sibling interaction.  I wanted Alaina to have a sibling, a pal, a person to grow up with.  She has been really great about the whole adding a baby to the family thing.  Mostly Alaina just ignores Joya.  Oh, she says hi, especially when Joya is on my lap.  She also likes to climb up to see Joya on the changing table.  But mostly life is business as usual for her.

But then yesterday I laid Joya on Alaina's bed while I put a load of diapers in the wash.  I turned around to see Alaina up on the bed, close to Joya's face saying "Hi Joya!  Hi Joya!"  And Joya was holding on to Alaina's finger and smiling right at her face. 

Up until now Joya has given Alaina the blank stare that she gives to most things that are not Mommy or Daddy.  I think this is the main reason Alaina has just gone about her life.  Joya has just been a noisy little lump that is very uninteresting.  But now, all of a sudden, Joya tracks Alaina as she dances around and is quick to give Alaina a smile if Alaina comes close enough to make eye contact.

I've been waiting for this day.  And it was worth it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Such a sweet moment and it only gets better. =)