Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year, New MOPS

Today we went to a new MOPS group.  Our old one got closed down by the church running it, which was very sad.  We attended that one for two years, and I was just getting comfortable with all the moms.  But after taking a semester off, I decided that we should find another one.  There were two close by...one didn't have room in the childrens' program for the girls, so the choice was pretty clear.

It's much smaller than the old group.  It's fairly well run, and the moms seem nice enough, although you can tell they've all been together for at least one semester.  I felt no instant connection with anyone, no spark of kindred spirit from anyone.  And Joya was pretty much a mess the whole time.  For the first time in my motherhood, I got paged to the nursery.  She wouldn't settle down for them, so I ended up holding her the entire time.  She was dead tired too...the minute she was in my arms she fell asleep.  I tried laying her down at that point, but she wasn't having any of that. 

All in all, the morning wasn't great.  Good, just not great.  The speaker was amazing.  I wish I could have taken notes.  He was from Heritage Builders and I'm looking forward to exploring their resources.  But we're going back, and the main reason is for Alaina.  She loves things like this.  She doesn't care that she's never been in that classroom, that she's never met the teacher or the kids.  She just wants to go and play.  When I picked her up from her classroom, her first words to me were "I want to stay!"  Lately she's been talking quite a bit about going to school "all by myself!"  I'm always amazed at her demonstrations of her extrovertness.  The girl needs to be around people, and I'm not talking about me, her dad and Joya.

Now if only Joya would settle down, I might be able to relax and see if there are any friends to be had here.

No comments: